Kai is a 10 month old Labrador pup that has been in foster care since Thursday, September 29. On the next Monday, October 3rd, his foster carer became extremely worried. He wouldn’t touch his food, which was very unusual for Kia, and he was acting timidly, not himself at all.
Kai was checked over and it was clear that he was critically unwell with suspected rat bait poisoning. The vets made the decision to transfer him to another emergency vet with better facilities.
Kai was transferred to Fyshwick Animal Hospital where he received a blood transfusion and intensive nursing. Rat bait is a kind of ‘slow release’ poison that works away on the inside. Rat bait acts as an anticoagulant & prevents blood from clotting, by depleting the body's supply of vitamin K. Sadly it can take up to a week before you start seeing the affects, and it is often too late to save them.
We don’t know how Kai ingested the rat bait or when, his life is in the vets hands now and we ask that Kai is in your prayers.
The emergency care and treatment is likely to cost upwards of $5,000 in vet bills.
We are praying Kai makes a full recovery and we are also asking for assistance with his vet bill. Can you help Kai overcome rat bait poisoning?
All donations are tax deductible and receipts will be provided immediately.
Click here to donate.
SMS the keyword KAI to 0417 663 757 to donate $5 or more fast and easy.
We would like to say a special thanks to the staff at Animal Referral Hospital, Canberra.